суббота, 13 июля 2013 г.

VOCABULARY TIME 1





1.1   ARE YOU HAPPY? 
VOCABULARY

Note 1: All the quotes are taken from the BRAINY QUOTE site. 


Note 2: The words that are not in our focus are given without translation, but anyway, if you don’t know them, you can click on them to see the translation with the ABBLingvo Online Dictionary. 

Note 3: To learn the words better, you make cards with them to revise them.


Word or phrase
Translation
Example, a quote of a famous person
go shopping
ходить за покупками, ходить по магазинам.
When women are depressed, they eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking.
Elayne Boosler
do shopping
делать покупки
I do most of my shopping over the Internet because as a busy working mum I can do the supermarket shop when the kids have gone to bed.
Andrea McLean
go out
бывать в обществе

I only go out to get me a fresh appetite for being alone.
Lord Byron
go on holiday
отправляться/ехать в отпуск
When I go on holiday and people ask me what I do, I tell them I do some internet stuff and I've done a couple of books and I hope they just leave it at that.
Karl Pilkington
spend money
тратить деньги
You must spend money to make money.
Plautus
have money
иметь деньги
There are people who have money and people who are rich.
Coco Chanel
make money
делать деньги
Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art.
Andy Warhol

To get rich, you have to be making money while you're asleep.
David Bailey
spend time with family
проводить время с семьей
I want to spend more time with my family.
Kenny Chesney
have time with family
проводить время с семьей
I try and have family time, all the time, so you know, I get to see them a lot. And I'm always with my friends, my boyfriend, it helps me keep grounded...
Nicole Polizzi
have time off
иметь свободное от работы время,
I like time off because I also have a life outside of theater.
Estelle Parsons
have a barbeque
готовить барбекю
I love barbecue, it's my favorite thing to eat.
David Nail
be on your own
проводить время одному (сам по себе)
You are so much better off on your own than with the wrong person.
Cat Deeley
eat out
питаться вне дома
It's very hard when you eat out every day for a living, and a new restaurant comes along and you haven't got that same vigour that you had 10 years ago.

Gordon Ramsay
eat with friends
есть с друзьями
When I eat with my friends, it is a moment of real pleasure, when I really enjoy my life.
Monica Bellucci
play (a) sport
играть в спортивную игру
Because I used to play a lot of sport, I've always been in decent enough shape…
Jamie Dornan
do sport
заниматься спортом
If I see someone doing a new sport, I usually like to throw myself into it, and I never look at it and think, 'That's something I can't do.'
Manu Bennett
play a musical instrument
играть на музыкальном инструменте
It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.
Johann Sebastian Bach
listen to smth/smb
слушать кого-либо, что-либо
Listen to many, speak to a few.
William Shakespeare

If you listen to your fears, you will die never knowing what a great person you might have been.
Robert H. Schuller
make smb happy
делать кого-либо счастливым
You are the only person who knows how to make yourself happy. Open your eyes, open your years, open your heart and listen to yourself. The answer is inside you.
Eastern wisdom.

Separate words

Word or phrase
Translation
Example, a quote of a famous person
feel (felt, felt)
чувствовать
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Albert Einstein
Home is where you feel at home and are treated well.
Dalai Lama
be (was, were, been)
быть, существовать
The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
Audrey Hepburn
laugh
смеяться
You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same.
Jonathan Davis

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!
Charlie Chaplin
make (made, made)
делать, создавать
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...
Ron White
do (did, done)
делать, выполнять
Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.
Og Mandino
eat (ate, eaten)
есть, принимать пищу
Eat to please thyself, but dress to please others.
Benjamin Franklin
spend (spent, spent)
тратить, проводить
If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
Bruce Lee

Character is the result of two things: mental attitude and the way we spend our time.
Elbert Hubbard

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.
Christopher Morley

Never spend your money before you have earned it.
Thomas Jefferson
go(went, gone)
идти, направляться
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau






Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий